February 28, 2010

Raw Thoughts from an Airport

      Through my week long travels, I've come to realize how much I enjoy airports. I've been flying since I was just days old, and the airport in my hometown happens to be the busiest one in the world.  For me, waiting at the gate to board (usually for a couple hours) isn't so bad; because you know, the airport is great for people watching. Though you may never make it to say Japan, Iran, or even just one of your neighbors in the lower 48, these people and places come to you at the airport.
      So I, sitting at gate D-14, am not-so engaged in a book that I am required to read for my nature class. I keep making eye contact with a businessman facing me... who is actually doing work. After reevaluating my own efforts for productivity, I try a little harder. Inevitably, after just a few minutes, my abominable slothfulness prevails and I pull out my i-pod. Now I can just lay back and do nothing but stare...
      One of the things that initially interests me about a person is their style. If my gaze lingers on one person more than another, it's usually because I'm interested in that person's overall look (but this is common sense). Anyway, I was looking at a clearly self-dressed toddler, when a guy breaks my line of vision, and surprise, sits down right next to me.
      Why did he chose this seat, instead of the available seat only two spaces down? Perhaps just because the other one was next to a dude, and he didn't want to send the wrong signals.  Regardless, as it turned out, I was close enough to see what he was reading... and it happened to be one of my favorite books: Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.  And then I start thinking further and deeper... I was curious to know what else we might have in common, if anything. Clearly, everyone in this space has the same embarking and disembarking locations. But why? What do airports say about social classes, social norms, and social networks? (Keep posted for a blog on this later.) Just an interesting continuum of peoples' lives, uninterrupted, and very very public.

      Undoubtedly, this train of thought (on being the "ultimate observer," or atleast recognizing one) was ignited by the film What The Bleep Do We Know, which is centered on the ideas of quantum physics. Not sure yet if I'd recommend it, but go ahead if you're curious! There are free streamings all over the internet.
      Or, for those not at easily entertained as I at the airport: http://stuckattheairport.com


( Part 1: Rusty Drafts Resurrected)

2 comments:

  1. any dialogue with brave new world boy?! i love that book too!! i also love airports... they fascinate me to no end... never get old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hate to say that i don't share your enthusiasm for airports... but then sometimes my brother and i will play this game where we try to guess what different peoples jobs are. for example: middle school gym teacher, nature park coordinator, sex therapist, water meter technician. it can be a fun way to pass the time...

    hope you are well, cherie.

    ReplyDelete